January 15, 2013

Should Kids Live Up To Parents' Expecation?

English: Ellen DeGeneres in 2009.
English: Ellen DeGeneres in 2009. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
I have a student who tried very hard to please her parents, especially her mother, however she doesn't seem to be the type of persons who could enjoy art process. She is more active type, constantly need to be in physical activities, that's why she did not make much progress on skill wise. I know she loves her mother dearly, and her mother is extremely loving and caring as well. The student has been with me for over 3 years, and recently the student missed several classes. I have a hunch that the kid did not enjoy doing art as much as her mother wants her to do, and she probably would happier if she quit, however, her mother did not want her to quit because she would picture that as a failure of her own.

Nonetheless, I still believe her mother is loving and eventually will accept what her daughter really is. What I really mean is, sometime even a loving mothers can be blind on seeing the real picture of their kids, and on the other side, the eagerness to please parents also can somehow more or less give kids trouble on enjoying their own life. That's why when Ellen Degeneres' mother first time heard Ellen saying she did the stage performance (when Ellen was only 5 or 6 year-old) just for please mother, she was extremely upset. I read her bio years ago, really thought she was one of greatest mothers in the world.
Enhanced by Zemanta

3 comments:

  1. yunyi, I don't think parents should pressure their kids to do or be anything in particular. They should encourage them to follow their own bent and discover their own interests.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've encouraged my sons to explore their own natural talents and interests, without imposing an agenda, and they've turned out just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @kris& np,
    I think we all agree on this because we all are born true individualists.

    ReplyDelete